György Thúry Museum

The House of Fine Arts

Nagykanizsa, Erzsébet tér 14-15.

The House of Fine Arts

György Thúry Museum

Nagykanizsa, Fő út 5.

György Thúry Museum

House of Hungarian Placards

Nagykanizsa, Erzsébet tér 14-15.

House of Hungarian Placards

Tisztelt Látogatók!
A Képzőművészetek Háza (Kiskastély), Nagykanizsa, Erzsébet tér 14-15. technikai okok miatt zárva.
A Magyar Plakát Ház kiállításai továbbra is látogathatók.

A kutatószolgálat 2017. augusztus 1. és augusztus 31. között szünetel. Megértésüket köszönjük!

People, Roads and Relations (The Millennia of Southern Zala)

emberek utak kapcsolatokPermanent exhibition at György Thúry Museum of Nagykanizsa
Open to the public: during the opening hours

The first section of the new permanent exhibition – which opened on 9 February 2006 – shows the history of the region between the western basin of Little Balaton and the Mura River from the beginning of the Neolithic to the Middle Ages. In the second, larger, section the development of Nagykanizsa, the town playing a leading role in the region, in the 18th century and the golden age of the period of the Dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy are displayed.

Read more: People, Roads and Relations (The Millennia of Southern Zala)

Visions like a fairy tale, the play of reality and fancy

763 BagolyThe permanent exhibition entitled “Visions like a fairy tale, the play of reality and fancy – A selection of drawings by István Z. Soós”

Permanent exhibition at The House of Fine Arts of Nagykanizsa, Erzsébet tér 14-15.
Open to the public: during the opening hours

”He is drawing on simple technical drawing pads with the edge of a black – sometimes brown – rectangular crayon. The range of colours of the drawings is characterized by the fullness of countless intertwined or sharply separated shades, from pale grey as light as air to deep black. His knowledge of drawing and his individual technique are remarkable for themselves, yet, the most interesting and most individual in his art is not the way he is drawing, but the things he sees, experiences and immortalizes through transposing them into a special, multicoloured world of dreams which is rooted in reality.”  
– wrote the art historian and deputy director-general of the Hungarian National Gallery Dr. Albin Márffy about the drawings of the painter István Z. Soós in 1970.

 

Read more: Visions like a fairy tale, the play of reality and fancy

Travels on four continents

97.2.165.CsTravels on four continents – The exhibition entitled “A Selection of paintings by Elizabeth Sass Brunner and Elizabeth Brunner”

Permanent exhibition at The House of Fine Arts of Nagykanizsa, Erzsébet tér 14-15.
Open to the public: during the opening hours

The painters Elizabeth Sass Brunner (1889-1950) and her daughter Elizabeth Brunner (1910-2001) were born in Nagykanizsa. The two ladies set off eastward in 1929 and reached India via Italy and North Africa in 1930, where they settled down, found a new home and their peace of mind. They spent several years in Japan; then they returned to India. The painters, who were well-known in India, handed down a part of their bequest to their native Nagykanizsa.

In this exhibition, we would like to show the stations of their journeys, instead of their paintings focussing on religious and spiritual themes. Their works which were either still made in Hungary or dealt with Hungarian themes, were, however, made abroad, can be seen as a larger unit. Then, you can see their works – landscapes, genre paintings as well as portraits – which were made in Italy, India, and Japan.

Read more: Travels on four continents

Faces from the Past

A kiállítás a Dunántúlt egykor benépesítő népek viseletét és arcvonásait tárja a látogatók elé. A tudomány lehetővé teszi, hogy alapos anatómiai ismeretek és tehetség birtokában a képzőművészek hiteles arcrekonstrukciókat készítsenek az egykor élt emberekről.

The exhibition presents the attires and facial features of peoples that once populated Transdanubia. Science provides an opportunity for visual artists to carry out, in possession of thorough anatomical knowledge and talent, authentic facial reconstructions of people who once lived.

The western parts of the Carpathian Basin were occupied by Germanic peoples from the beginning of the 5th century. The finds from the cemetery which was unearthed next to Mözs in Tolna County can be linked with them. The skull of special shape, which is a typical example of artificial cranial deformation, comes from this site. The Langobards occupied Transdanubia from the beginning of the 6th century; on the surface of the skull of the man buried in one of the graves of the Langobard cemetery which was unearthed in Vörs, next to Keszthely, the traces of symbolic trephination can be observed. This peculiar custom had health reasons or may have been part of an initiatory rite.

Read more: Faces from the Past

THE GERMANIC PEOPLES

THE GERMANIC PEOPLES

25th June 2016 – 18th December 2016
György Thúry Museum

The exhibition shows the impressive – newly found – artefacts which form part of the relics from Vas County originating from the early stage of the Migration Period. The cemetery – containing a high number of graves – has been excavated on the confines of Szeleste. It hid warriors and richly bejeweled women.german 011

An ever growing number of various peoples of Germanic and eastern origin occupied the peripheral regions of the Roman Empire during the centuries of its slow decline. In the 5th century, the Huns ruled over the town of Savaria and the area belonging to it, the territorium, which consisted of villa rustica farms and cultivated land, for a short time. At the same time, a part of the inhabitants of the town of mainly local origin, who had received Roman citizenship (civitas Romana), left the once prospering town in several waves.

The Huns, the Ostrogoths, the Scirii, the Suevi, the Heruli and other peoples that turned up here in the 4th and 5th centuries left almost no apparent marks on the environs. Isolated graves and sporadic finds remained from this era the artistically processed precious metal finds of which found – almost without exception – their way into national or international museums.

According to our current knowledge, the Langobards that belonged to the Germanic ethnic group occupied today’s Transdanubia gradually at the beginning of the 6th century. We know very little about their settlements and a little over a dozen of their cemeteries have been excavated by archaeologists. We had not had information about permanent settlements of the Germanic peoples in Vas County up until the time when we got acquainted with the cemetery of Szeleste. Based upon our knowledge so far, we only assumed that there had been a network of roads in the Roman era and armed forces small in number that had been settled here to control the long-distance trade that had took place on these roads.

Read more: THE GERMANIC PEOPLES

Painting of the month

Thumbnail Elizabeth Brunner: Draw well Japan, 1935(oil on cardboard 21,2x35 cm) György Thúry Museum - Brunner Exhibition (The House of Fine Arts, Nagykanizsa,...

Plakat haboru th

Postcards

kepeslap

Postcards can be bought at the unit price of HUF80 at György Thúry Museum (Nagykanizsa, Fő út 5.)

Image gallery

mozaikmuzeumtura logo

NMI logo

The Thúry György Museum uses cookies to ensure you have the best browsing experience and to help us improve the site.
By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.